Sammich
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sammich

Revamped and ready for action!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Happy New Year

+7
Rook
Karasu
R&R
Corebalt
CS23X
Doctor Diabolical
Inari
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Happy New Year Empty Happy New Year Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:22 am

Inari

Inari

Oshougatsu Omedeto Gozaimasu Minna!

(Happy New Year everyone!)

2Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:58 am

Doctor Diabolical

Doctor Diabolical

Thankya, Inari! And a happy New Year to everyone, from me as well! Very Happy

3Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:42 am

CS23X

CS23X

Happy New Year!!! Very Happy

4Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:31 pm

Corebalt

Corebalt
Admin

Happy Year After Next Everyone! : D

New Years Resolutions?

https://sammich.forumotion.net

5Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:12 pm

R&R

R&R

I am sorry, I can't make new years resolutions, when I was 7 I made a resolution to never make new years resolutions.

6Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:13 pm

Karasu

Karasu
Admin

Ah, the continuation of life.

Nothing changes, no-one changes, nothing is forgiven, nothing is forgotten, and everything stays the same. The people who were miserable are going to be just as or more miserable, and the people who were happy were lying to themselves.

I'd take the time to give figures of how many people are gonna get run down, how many shot, how many mauled mercilessly by our lovely shark friends, but i'm lazy and wikipedia is just slightly out of my reach.

Enjoy your non-holiday children, for soon it shall all continue the way it was continuing.

To those who believe that i'm actually a nice person under that harsh, cynical exterior, you're lying to yourselves, and Happy New Year Razz

7Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Karasu

Karasu
Admin

As for resolutions, well I do kinda need a few of those:

1: get an actual band.

2: become a better guitarist than Chris.

3: Try at uni. Enough to get a 2:1.

8Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:03 pm

R&R

R&R

I predict that this year, a Sheep Virus will spread through the country world, to accompany Mad Cow, and Bird/Swine flue

9Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Doctor Diabolical

Doctor Diabolical

Karasu wrote:Ah, the continuation of life.

Nothing changes, no-one changes, nothing is forgiven, nothing is forgotten, and everything stays the same. The people who were miserable are going to be just as or more miserable, and the people who were happy were lying to themselves.

I'd take the time to give figures of how many people are gonna get run down, how many shot, how many mauled mercilessly by our lovely shark friends, but i'm lazy and wikipedia is just slightly out of my reach.

Enjoy your non-holiday children, for soon it shall all continue the way it was continuing.

To those who believe that i'm actually a nice person under that harsh, cynical exterior, you're lying to yourselves, and Happy New Year Razz
That's kind of naive Neutral

10Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Karasu

Karasu
Admin

Please explain, Doc. D, how it is naive?

11Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:20 am

R&R

R&R

Majesu, you still have much to learn about life and people. you think you know it all, but that is just ridiculous. you can't know about people you have never met. people can always change. what a stinky world we would live in if they didn't?

you hang out with the wrong people.

12Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:23 am

Doctor Diabolical

Doctor Diabolical

Basically Robert beat me to it, except for the "hanging out with wrong people part" because I don't know who you hang out with >.> ... ...aside from me and some of these other fellows <.< .

It is easier to be profound with a pessimistic viewpoint, because it's easier for many to dismiss the world and its societies as bad when they know of bad things or have had bad things happen to them. There's good in the world too, it's just that the good can easily be dismissed as superficial when we feel the bad have more of an impact on us. The fact that we take good for granted is a little bit of proof in itself that we live in a world with at least some inherent good. I think one reason some see the world as so bad is because we want to see a "villain". It's harder to hate (and therefore get catharsis from hating) morally-complex people just as it's harder to hate a morally-complex planet/society.

If you ask me my viewpoint, I say that God made the nature on this planet to act accordingly logical to the laws of nature He created (I'd guess so life is interesting); according to the laws of nature, sometimes animals act aggressively and harmful meteorological occurrences occur. Sometimes probability does not work out for every single human, and people get run down on the street. Sometimes, people walk slower and miss the car that would've run them down by minutes on end, and the car-drivers get to their destinations faster and receive raises for their troubles that end up making their lives a lot easier (part of this has to do with society, which I address next!).

As for society, God left things up to us. Though it is unlikely, we all have the potential to be the kind of people we wish to be. North Korea and the USA wish to simultaneously make amends and be friends? Nothing but a crippling sense of paranoia is truly stopping them. With that in mind, if either me or someone else wishes to forgive, what is to stop us/them from forgiving? If we wish to forget, what is to stop us from putting malicious events out of our minds? If people make themselves feel happy, how is it lying to themselves? If you wish to be a nice person, what is to stop you from defying your otherwise cynical exterior?

If things continue the way they are continuing, that's not surprising, but to say we as individuals have no control over our own thought processes and therefore have no possibility of positive social change, is what I believe to be naive in its simple fatalism >.> .

Guys, are we forgetting that we humans are responsible for this? - Epic

Last edited by Doctor Diabolical on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:38 am; edited 3 times in total

13Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:23 am

Rook

Rook

The member 'Doctor Diabolical' has done the following action : Accuracy

'(Weather) Sunny Day' :
Happy New Year Clearsky

https://sammich.forumotion.net

14Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:58 am

R&R

R&R

why 'ello strange newcomer.

15Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:06 pm

R&R

R&R

Doctor Diabolical wrote:Guys, are we forgetting that we humans are responsible for this? - Epic

no we aren't, the Skathee made that. they live in a galaxy we call Nova-463. they can't make it to earth though, do you have any idea how ludicrously big the space between galaxies is?

16Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Karasu

Karasu
Admin

God? Don't even get me started on that one. The one thing I hate more than people is God, should he/she/they/it exist.

17Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:01 pm

Doctor Diabolical

Doctor Diabolical

Well I love Him, so I figured I would give Him props within my post, but if that is ground for ignoring the rest I'll reword said sections ignoring the spiritual factor :3

----

If you ask me my viewpoint, the laws of nature formed this world a certain way that seems flawed to our analytical and evolved selves, but has at the very least provided the things we as a species needed to become dominant, intelligent and philosophical. We must remember though, these things are a part of our world, the only biosphere we know. Sure, some animals sharing our world are violent carnivores, and some meteorological occurrences happen that are intrinsically harmful to us, but they are parts of the way that the world which created us and made us self-aware enough to be discontent in the first place works.

As of now, we have the self-awareness to be discontent about this, and out of this human nature came ways to survive this. Though probability exists and by definition does not always work in our favor (sometimes coupled with societal problems, addressed later!), we are hardly as helpless as simply "getting run down, shot, or eaten by sharks" Razz . Through our relatively short time of existence and awareness, we have developed ways of fighting back against circumstances, some not-so-successful, but certainly progressive among species. Once again, sometimes the odds do not favor the survival of individuals, or even certain groups, but unless space throws some planet-killing event at us (certainly not as commonplace as the things you list), we have better means of preservation than many larger organisms!

Probability is a natural part of life as well, in fact, it's a natural part of the universe. Sometimes personally good events happen and sometimes personally bad ones happen; sometimes events happen that are bad for some and good for others. Sometimes and people get run down on the street. Sometimes, people walk slower and miss the car that would've run them down by minutes on end, and the car-drivers get to their destinations faster and receive raises for their troubles that end up making their lives a lot easier (part of this has to do with society, which I address next!).

As for society, that's up to us. Though it is unlikely, we all have the potential to be the kind of people we wish to be. Out of all the events you list, the most likely "positive outcome" is forgiveness, and that's because above anything physical, we humans have control over our own minds. You say people can't change, but what stops us? By this point, society is introspective enough that the average human can identify its own urges; if individuals realized why some of their urges were bad and had the support of other individuals who wouldn't hold it against them, why wouldn't or couldn't they change? Because we secretly don't want to? Give our development of morals more credit than that: if we weren't moral creatures you wouldn't be so despondent about the issue in the first place, you most likely wouldn't even be talking about it >.> ...

North Korea and the USA wish to simultaneously make amends and be friends? Nothing but a crippling sense of paranoia is truly stopping them. With that in mind, if either me or someone else wishes to forgive, what is to stop us/them from forgiving? If we wish to forget, what is to stop us from putting malicious events out of our minds? It is mainly fear of being betrayed in turn, which if people could come to genuine (perhaps enforced) truces more easily, wouldn't be much of an issue. If people make themselves feel happy, how is it lying to themselves? If you wish to be a nice person, what is to stop you from defying your otherwise cynical exterior?

If things continue the way they are continuing, that's not surprising, but to say we as individuals have no control over our own thought processes and therefore have no possibility of positive social change, is what I believe to be naive in its simple fatalism >.> .

18Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:17 pm

R&R

R&R

person is good people are evil.
we are slowly making the planet uninhabitable. the ozone is fading away. causing lots of problems. some places have dried up because of the extra sun. and people are more concerned about facebook being down than the end of life as we know it.

also you talk about countries like people. they have less control over there military than you do. the only time the people have ever stoped a war was in the 70s when people just decided they were going to just sit down and not do anything

on a side note, Majeh is partly right, evil spawns more evil. till that is stopped people can't change. a good example is a stampede, to change is to stop moving. it is hard to do without getting run down.

and humans are nowhere near the most intelligent, only the ones who can create. Dolphins will risk there lives to protect others, we will stare at a screen, monkeys attack humans because they know what we have done to entire forests. no animal kills just because it can, except for humans. humans are the only ones who will torture and force labor, so humans are the least intelligent.

19Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Karasu

Karasu
Admin

Doc, I still have really no idea what your point has to do with mine...

I grasp that you believe that people can change, rather that they possess the capability to. I don't believe people ever truly change. They can cover up their personality, they can attempt to change their lifestyle, they can even buy a new style of clothes and attempt to fit in differently. But at the end of it, you paint a wall, it's still a wall. A murderer in a room with other people, they have enough oxygen for 4, and there are 5 present. You think his first thoughts will be "I wonder how we can make this work nicely for everyone", no. His thoughts are "which one do I kill? Which one can I take out the easiest? Will the others try to stop me? Will I be imprisoned again when we get through this?" Deep down, people care only for themselves. They want the best for themselves, the only reason they don't lie,cheat and steal, and kill their competition more often is because of legal implications. That is all.

And even if you can actually manage to forgive someone, you can never forget. If someone shot your friend, would you really be able to hand him a gun? Part of you would always wonder, always be a little uncertain about it. You'd think he was more of a risk to you than any other person walking down the street. This man might not have anything against you, never have shown any anger or disliking towards you, but you will always have something inside that makes you more fearful than normal. This links into my other point. If you are human, you will feel this way about people if you find yourself in a situation like this one. So, how can you really state that you believe people can truly change when you always have a sense of fear or nervousness around them?

People don't change. Once they're screwed up, they don't go back. Once they kill etc, they're evil forever.

If I became a serial killer or something, even though you've known me for about 4 years now, I doubt you'd be comfortable sharing a room with me. The last 4 years would be replaced in your mind with a more urgent feeling of "I hope he doesn't kill me too." This shows a few things.

1: People always assume the worst about others.
2: People are more interested in their own safety than anything else.

How can a society properly function, truly forgive, and fully forget a person's actions when these two details are always present. People are selfish as a whole. They care more about self-preservation than anything. People will gossip about others deemed weaker in order to put themselves in a position where they feel more powerful. They don't care about others, only themselves.

Funny how one can only be a properly functioning member of society by completely denying their human nature (humanity). Then again, it's not worth having. Morality and a conscience make you feel guilt, they aren't necessary. Empathy and emotional responses to situations and people are not beneficial, and are not required. Take away all of the things which make someone act irrationally, and you are left with someone who is actually a perfect being, following logic and reason above all else.

I went off-topic a little at the end. I hope you enjoyed reading.

20Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:54 pm

CS23X

CS23X

My nuts itch. Epic Epic Epic Epic

21Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Karasu

Karasu
Admin

"Me? I like thunderstorms. I like to shag my girlfriend and pretend we're taking part in the conception of the antichrist."

22Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:16 am

dvdfaust

dvdfaust

In terms of knowing anyone here, I'm probably the most ignorant person. I kinda went TL;DR in the back of my mind reading these not because the points were incorrect or offensive to me, but because I'd rather enjoy something in ignorance than hate it knowing what it is. What happens happens, what is is, and I'm just here to try and enjoy the ride.

23Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:52 am

Doctor Diabolical

Doctor Diabolical

Is the discussion supposed to be over? Because I'm like halfway through my response and want to know if I should continue ._.

24Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:31 am

R&R

R&R

yes it is over, we now wait for him to see for himself....

25Happy New Year Empty Re: Happy New Year Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:26 am

Alucard009

Alucard009

It's a New Year, I own a laptop, I'm on top of the world.

Resolution(s): To become more acrobatic/flexible/stronger and increaes my drawing and literature talents. I think last year was the peak of my artistic talent, but that wasn't saying much, so this year I want to see about churning out some stuff.

AND WINNING THE HEART OF THE GIRL I LIKE! OOH, EEH, OOH AAH AAH, TING, TANG, WALLA WALLA BING BANG!

And this conflicting talk reminds me of a part from the song Godzilla

"History shows again and again how nature points up (or "out") the folly of man"

Hey, I know a resolution for one of us. Scy...GET ON WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER/MSN, DAMMIT! IT'S BEEN MONTHS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum